Monday, November 11, 2013

Animals in the Bible - The Sparrows of Matthew 10




I love birds. All birds.
So I was a bit confused when my Sunday school teacher told us what Jesus said to his disciples about sparrows:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care?"
What did Jesus mean?
Did he think the sparrows were worthless?
Nope!
When my Sunday school teacher continued to tell what Jesus said, I got it!

"And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."


In other words, God loves the teeny, tiny little sparrow. He notices when even one of these ordinary birds has a problems or dies. (I mean it's not as if it's a superstar bird like a cockatoo!).

So if God sees the life of even a little sparrow, what have we humans got to be afraid of!
Cool, huh? 

See Matthew 10: 29-31 to read the verses... if you want.

(Oh and these neat images of the sparrow and the cockatoo come from Wikipedia.)